One of the most successful works by China's first feminist novelist Xiaohong.
The novel examines the difficulties of peasant life during the 1920s and early 1930s in China, and in particular the suffering of women. The latter part of the novel also deals with life under occupation after the Japanese invasion of Manchuria.
In MOE of PRC's recommended booklist for new curriculum Primary School （学校推荐 新课标）:
- The Scarecrow 稻草人
- Retreating Figure 背影
- Ji Xiao Du Zhe 寄小读者
- The Little Orange Lamp 小桔灯
- Tales of Hulan River 呼兰河传
- The Field of Life and Death 生死场
- Around the World in Eighty Days 八十天环游地球
- My Memories of Old Beijing 城南旧事
- You are the April of This World 你是人间的四月天